- Process all marinade ingredients together in a food processor until finely chopped and thoroughly combined. Leave for 30 minutes before using. Can be stored in the refrigerator for up to seven days.
- Wash and dry the chicken and remove backbone, wing tips and any excess fat. Cut into pieces. Rub all over with 1/2 of the chermoula marinade and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Combine the chopped tomato and onion with a little of the chermoula marinade and spread into the base of the tagine (this will prevent the chicken from burning on the bottom). Arrange chicken pieces in the centre of the tagine on top of tomato marinade.
- Coat leek wedges with chermoula and arrange around chicken. Top with onion slices, then tomato slices and olives in between the leek wedges.
- Mix chopped coriander with remaining chermoula marinade and water. Pour over mixture. Decorate top with preserved lemon wedges. Cover tagine with lid and cook on a very low heat for 45 minutes. Do not stir or lift the lid during the cooking process. Serve 1 palm-sized portion of chicken for each person once cooked. Serve with 3 handfuls of recommended vegetables or salad per serve.