- Combine all of the tomato sauce ingredients, except the water and egg, in the base of a deep tagine or a large, deep sided frying pan. Cover and bring to a simmer over a medium heat. Once simmering, reduce the heat to medium-low (just enough heat to maintain a gentle simmer). Allow the tomato sauce to cook for at least 15 to 20 minutes to completely soften the tomatoes.
- While the sauce is cooking combine all of the kofta ingredients together in a bowl. Then, using your hands, knead in the spices and herbs. Shape the lamb kofta mixture into small meatballs, approximately the size of a small peach.
- Add 1/4 cup of water to the tomato sauce and stir gently.
- Add the meatballs to the tomatoes and spoon a little of the tomato sauce over the meatballs to cover.
- Cover the tagine, or pan, and cook for approximately 25 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened.
- Break the eggs into the middle of the meatballs, and re-cover the tagine, or pan. Cook for an additional 7 to 10 minutes or until the egg whites are solid and the yolks are partially set.
- Serve with 3 handfuls of recommended salad vegetables per person.