- Slice the bacon across the grain into small strips.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over a medium heat. Add bacon and vegetables and sauté, stirring regularly, for approximately 20 minutes until the bacon starts to crisp at the edges and the vegetables begin to caramelise.
- Spread the bacon and vegetable mixture evenly over the base of the skillet, then make a well in each quarter section.
- Break one egg into each well and cook until the eggs are almost done to your liking. NB: If you prefer cooked yolks, place a lid on the skillet and allow the eggs to cook through in the steam.
- When the eggs are almost done, sprinkle cheese over the top and cook a little longer until the cheese melts.
- Serve hot. Enjoy!
Optional: Use 150 g to 200 g of diced turnips instead of the broccoli, carrots and celery. Ensure the turnips are cooked with the onions for long enough to let them caramelise a little. The result is similar to a hash brown. Delicious!